ShareThis

Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 11: Polka Dots (Constellations!)

Hi all! I'm excited to show you guys today's mani!



The theme for today is Polka Dots. Upon looking for inspiration, I started thinking about doing something a little out of the ordinary. When you hear the prompt "Polka Dots," I'm sure you think of something like this, right?


That's what I think of too...but the purpose of this challenge is for me to do things that I wouldn't normally think of!

Originally I thought of doing a sort of connect the dots mani and doing something like you'd see in a children's workbook with the dots and the corresponding numbers. But I didn't think I'd have enough room on each nail to do something like that... so I thought of something similar...

Constellations! I could still do dots that were supposed to represent something, but didn't have to draw parts of the image!

I used a base of Zoya Indigo for the night sky. Indigo is a beautiful navy blue with teeny tiny holographic glitter. The glitter wasn't noticeable enough to represent a night sky though, so what do I do? What else but add some Fairy Dust on top of it! I love Fairy Dust way more than I should...

Here are some pictures of Fairy Dust over Indigo:




Then I used the point of a needle (yes, a needle) to dot on the various constellations. Can you figure out what any of the constellations pictured below are? They are all actual formations!


Constellations from L to R: Orion's Belt, Hercules, Perseus, & Bootes (even though I admit it looks like The Big/Little Dipper

I am loving this constellation mani! And it was so so simple to do! Does this fall under Polka Dots or did I stray too much from the theme? ;)

14 comments:

  1. What a unique way to do this challenge! I love it!! I just love constellations and love looking at the stars!! I only knew Orion's belt-but really can't believe that you did ACTUAL ones-not just random dots-makes it that much cooler!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is subtle and really pretty! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS!! You did an awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable! Definitely simple but conveys the message!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic job! I LOVE Indigo. But then again, I've never met a blue I didn't like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! And I love that Zoya colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that Zoya nail polish so pretty!
    ~Jazmin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome manicure!!! I love the constellation theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! Love that Zoya polish! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cool idea for the challenge! and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god, I can't even explain how much I love this manicure. I've always loved stars and the night sky, so this for me is just beautiful. It'a just.. so fantastic! I love that you made actual constellations, it just makes it so much better. I love Orion's belt.. It's always so easy to spot on the night sky :D
    Awsome manicure!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a superunique and awesome manicure! Love the polish you used as a base and the constellations turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! What brand makes fairy dust?

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you and read every one of your comments! Leave a comment below :) We request that you do not post links to your blog in the comment section. If you want us to check out your blog, please send us an email at mad.manis@yahoo.com. Comments with links will, regretfully, be removed.