ShareThis

Friday, August 5, 2011

Take Two: Wedding French Manis

Hello all! We are starting a new series which we are calling Take Two . Each week, we will pick a different type/theme of mani and both do our takes on it. Then we will put them in a post together so you can see how similarly/differently we execute the same general type of design!

This week's topic is Wedding Appropriate French Manicures. A relative of ours is getting married and we needed something not too obnoxious to wear. Bright blue and neon green aren't really appropriate for weddings ;)

Melissa's Design:


I used a base of 10 Professional Pinky Promise. This was a little thin -- I had some cuticle pooling. I then sponged a white french onto the tips of my nails. Finished with a dotting tool and Sally Hansen Insta-Dry in Lightning and OPI Be A Dahlia Won't You.



Amanda's Design:



I know black is a little... "out there" to be considered wedding appropriate, but I tried to keep it tame/elegant at the same time. My dress is white and black so I thought a black-tipped french with lace accents could be pretty, but unique at the same time.

I started with three coats of China Glaze Innocence, a sheer baby pink. I have a love-hate relationship with this polish -- it applies fine, but it's so sheer that you can always see the yellow on my nails underneath. A perfect french mani color though. This is probably my most used China Glaze color! Here are some swatches of Innocence:



Then I made black french tips using Sinful Black polish. I always just freehand it -- I hate waiting for my polish to dry completely to use those little guides (same with tape) so I always opt to try myself. I gotta say, I've gotten better at freehanding french manis! My old attempts were futile. Then I used a small paintbrush and made little black loops and finished with little dots on top for the lace accent (can you tell that's what it's supposed to be? haha)




10 comments:

  1. Both of these manicures are beautiful. I enjoy the fact that neither are the typical, extremely tame nails we often see for weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these!! And I can tell that it's supposed to be lace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pixie -- Would we all really be nail bloggers if we did typical, tame nails? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of these! And the sponging of the white tips is so creative! It's different, yet classic french tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this feature! I've been trying to get my sister to collaborate with me on my blog but she isn't into nail painting (she's really into haircare). Anyway, I like both designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which I like more!
    Cannot wait to see what else you come up with :)
    I have a wedding to go to in 1 month... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flower one! So pretty and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of the manis are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you and read every one of your comments! Leave a comment below :) We request that you do not post links to your blog in the comment section. If you want us to check out your blog, please send us an email at mad.manis@yahoo.com. Comments with links will, regretfully, be removed.