ShareThis

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dandelion Nail Art Tutorial

Hi!

I know this is long overdue, and it very may well be no longer relevant, but I figured since this mani is still floating around on Tumblr and Pinterest that I'd make a tutorial for those of you who are interested. It is our most popular blog post to date, so I figure some people must like it :) Better late than never, right?!




(I've added a short video at the end if you'd prefer that instead of pictures.) Without further ado, let's get started!

Here are the supplies you'll need...
A light polish, black striper polish, white and black acrylic paint, white nail art pen (optional), dotting tool (you can fashion a makeshift one out of a bobby pin or something similar), and a small nail art brush.





First, apply a base color. You can use whatever you'd like, just make sure it's light enough so you can still see the art that we're going to put over it. I used China Glaze Sea Spray.



Next, you want to to put a black dot on the nails you want the dandelions to be on. I just used black acrylic paint and a medium sized dotting tool.



Use a black striper polish to make stems on each of the dots.



This is the trickiest part of the entire design: Using the tiniest nail art brush that you have and some acrylic paint, make little petals coming off of the black dot. The trick to this is wiping almost ALL the polish off of the brush before you start painting. That will give the petals the delicate, translucent look. (See video below)





Using the same technique as above, paint little floating petals on the other fingers. I made little dashes and shapes that look like T's.








Seal your design with a top coat and you're all done! That really is all there is to it. It looks harder than it is, I promise :)

So there ya go, I hope that was helpful for some of you! Here is the video I mentioned:


18 comments:

  1. this is BEAUTIFUL!!! absolutely love this mani... the grey is so chic... LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial, I've been meaning to try this design forever. I'll leave you a link whenever I get around to doing it, if you want to see my result ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love this!! Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mani is gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of the prettiest manicures i have ever seen, on my 'to do list' for a long time, thanks a zillion for the tutorial :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. so neat. I love this design!!

    Amy
    okayeamy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for showing the tutorial on this one. I have been wanting to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you - i have loved the elegance of this mani for a LONG time. So happy you did a tutorial xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this design... thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial, thank you so much! Still love this design :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! thanks for this tutorial!
    I think I'll try it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wanted to let you know that I chose you for one of my homage month days and you can find my post:
    http://www.devilish-polish.com/2012/04/my-homage-to-mad-manis.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! This manicure is pinned so much - thank you for entering it in my contest! :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yayyyy! So glad to see the tutorial! It's so awesome to see my real life friends pinning your mani =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this tutorial! The dandelion manicure was one of the first manis I saw when I discovered your blog and it's one of my favorites. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial & love the colour too!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you and read every one of your comments! Leave a comment below :) We request that you do not post links to your blog in the comment section. If you want us to check out your blog, please send us an email at mad.manis@yahoo.com. Comments with links will, regretfully, be removed.