ShareThis

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Beginner Nail Art - using your dotting tool

Perhaps the easiest nail art there is, is to use your dotting tool for flowers.  Dotting tools can be purchased at nail art, craft supply stores and online; and come in a variety of sizes.  Mine are actually embossing styluses that I bought years ago in the scrapbooking section of Michaels.


Start out with a thoroughly dry base color. Dot a small amount of your color on a scrap of paper. Using your dotting tool, dip it into your color then gently dot it on your nail. Be careful not to press too hard or you can leave a little dimple in the middle of your dot. Another tip - use just a small dot of polish on your scrap of paper because as the polish air dries, it will get tacky and sticky. This will cause stringing of your dots and you don't want that.  Here you can see I've applied the center of my daisies to my nail with a large dotting tool.  The base is Zoya Lolly.


Repeat the above step with a medium sized dotting tool for the petals.  If you want to add topcoat to seal in your design, let it dry thoroughly first.  I have foregone topcoat on this mani because I want to keep the matte finish.


Really easy.  I actually did this design this morning before work - which is why my cuticles aren't conditioned and I forgot to clean up my pinky.   Running late for work, still need to do my hair and makeup!  Have a fabulous day!
x

11 comments:

  1. Cute mani. I use dotting tool quite often for making flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved dotted flowers! this is adorable with the matte pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute. I'm definitely trying this later. I need to get some dotting skills :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, I love the base colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute. I'm going to have to try this!
    Amy
    okayeamy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How how fun! What a sweet springtime mani :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAYYYY! I'm going to try this. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you and read every one of your comments! Leave a comment below :) We request that you do not post links to your blog in the comment section. If you want us to check out your blog, please send us an email at mad.manis@yahoo.com. Comments with links will, regretfully, be removed.